This lab activity is designed to demonstrate the different classes of protein molecules and their classification based on solubility. Students learn fractionation of soluble, insoluble membrane proteins, and cytoskeleton proteins from a tissue sample. The insoluble protein fraction is further fractionated into hydrophilic and hydrophobic membrane proteins. Cell membrane structure and the role of hydrophobic membrane proteins are considered. This lab activity also provides an opportunity to understand characteristics of various classes of detergents and the role of detergents in solubilisation of hydrophobic membrane proteins.
This kit teaches the following:
- Different classes of proteins based on solubility.
- Solubilization of proteins and role of detergents.
- Characteristics of detergents in aqueous solution.
- Hydrophilic and hydrophobic proteins.
- Membrane proteins and structure of membranes.
Please refer to the Product Protocol for additional equipment needed.