This Biotechnology Basics™ kit by Ellyn Daugherty is designed to teach students about RFLP (restriction fragment length polymorphisms) and its use in crime scene investigations. Students will use restriction enzyme digestions of victim, suspect and crime scene DNA and then visualize the digested fragments using horizontal electrophoresis. Students will practice loading samples and then load the restriction digests and visualize the DNA fragments using G-Biosciences LabSafe™ Nucleic Acid Stain.
- Understand RFLP (restriction fragment length polymorphisms)
- Perform restriction digestions
- Perform horizontal agarose gel electrophoresis
- Visualize and compare DNA fragments
- Conduct pseudo crime scene investigation
Please refer to the Product Protocol for additional equipment needed.